Avoid a Lengthy Court Case with Mediation
Decisions about child custody and visitation are almost always emotional and difficult for the parties involved. Mediation for child visitation is an opportunity to create a plan for your children in a calm, cooperative environment. If you are involved in a divorce or need to modify an existing visitation order, our team at Tournour & Weiner in East Brunswick, NJ, can help you through the process.
Whether your visitation mediation is voluntary or court-ordered, you can use this time to draft a mutually beneficial visitation plan which protects the best interests of your family. For more information about our mediation services, contact our office online or call (732) 418-9772 to speak to a member of our team today.
The Benefits of Mediation for Visitation Plans
A great number of factors are involved in drafting a visitation plan, including the children's preferences and the relationship between you and your co-parent. During a mediation session, you and your ex-spouse can fully discuss all of these factors. A member of our team can act as a sounding board for potential plans, offer suggestions for overcoming obstacles, and keep the conversation running smoothly. Mediation can also help you and your ex-spouse lay the foundation for a positive co-parenting relationship.
Preparing for Your Session
There are many ways you can prepare for mediation to smooth out the process and ensure the best interests of both you and your child are protected. Our team can provide you with specific recommendations during your initial case evaluation, including:
- Knowing the other parent’s goals: If you are on good terms with your ex-spouse, it is a good idea to discuss visitation in advance of your mediation appointment. The more you know about their goals going into the session, the more prepared you can be with your own.
- Discussing visitation with your child: Having an open and honest discussion with your child about how much time they want to spend with each parent is very important, especially for older children. Their wishes are an essential part of creating a fair plan.
- Drafting a visitation plan of your own: You probably have a vision of how you want visitation to go. Coming prepared with a well-thought-out visitation plan can facilitate the mediation process.
If you are asking that you or your spouse have supervised visitation, make sure you have some sort of evidence to support why this request is necessary. In cases with a history of domestic violence, we often recommend clients handle divorce, custody, and visitation issues in a court setting. However, we will do everything possible to respect your wishes and proceed with mediation if you prefer to settle these issues out of court.
For visitation rights, mediation is the best way to create an agreement which encourages a peaceful future for all parties.
What to Bring to Visitation Mediation
Coming prepared to the meeting is another way to speed the process and protect your interests. Some of the documents you can bring to the meeting include:
- A calendar marking holidays and work or school vacations
- A list of proposed visitation dates
- Any relevant police reports
- Names of professional supervisors for supervised visitation, if needed
It is a good idea to bring documentation of anything that supports your position, especially for aspects which your ex-spouse may dispute.
Protecting Your Child’s Welfare
With cases involving custody or visitation, the welfare of the child is the most important consideration. Any visitation plan created during mediation will need the approval of a judge, who will thoroughly review the document to ensure it is fair to both parents and children. For visitation rights, mediation is the best way to create an agreement which encourages a peaceful future for all parties. Find out more about mediation for child visitation and the other family law mediation services we offer by contacting us online or calling (732) 418-9772 today.
“I had an excellent experience with Mr. Tournour - He was available for my calls and handled everything to perfection. Had my back in every aspect. I would highly recommend him.” Renee - Client