Decades Of Experience.
Proven Representation.

Child Support FAQs For New Jersey Couples

Both parents of a child are obligated to provide support for that child, and when parents divorce or otherwise separate, they retain those obligations. Child support generally refers to monetary payments made by the noncustodial parent to the parent with custody to contribute to the care of the child or children. On this page, we feature answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about child support. If you have questions about child support in New Jersey, we recommend contacting a child custody and child support lawyer such as Frank Tournour as soon as possible. Read on about child support FAQs you need to know.

How is the amount of child support determined?

Generally, the amount of child support is set by the court using the New Jersey Child Support Guidelines found in appendix IX-A of the New Jersey Court Rules and the following criteria:

  • The needs of the child
  • The standard of living and economic circumstances of each parent
  • The income and assets of each parent
  • The earning ability of each parent, including educational background, training, employment skills, work experience and custodial responsibility for children
  • The need of the child for education, including higher education
  • The age and health of both the child and the parents
  • The income and earning capacity of the child
  • Prior support orders for other children
  • The reasonable debts and liabilities of each parent and child
  • Any other relevant facts

In cases of joint custody, child support payments are usually based on the amount of time the child spends in the custody of each parent and the parents’ relative incomes.

How long are parents legally obligated to support their children?

Both biological and adoptive parents must support a child until such time that:

  • The child reaches the age of majority (support may be required for a longer period if the child has special needs or is in college)
  • The child goes on active military duty
  • The child is declared emancipated by a court
  • Parental rights and responsibilities are terminated

What if the father of the child does not want to agree or admit that he is the father?

If a child’s father does not agree or admit that the child is his responsibility, a genetic paternity test will be performed. Read more about paternity issues.

Yes. Each parent has an obligation to support their children, and a father who is the custodial parent has the right to ask for child support from the child’s mother.

What if a parent doesn’t pay their child support?

When a parent falls behind on their child support payments, the matter may be addressed in a post-judgment enforcement hearing during which the individual will be given an opportunity to explain why they have not kept up with the court-ordered payment schedule. If the noncustodial parent still does not pay, steps to enforce the order will be taken, which may include garnishment of wages, tax refunds, or lottery winnings, or seizure of assets such as insurance proceeds, cars or other vehicles, or real estate.

Schedule An Appointment With A New Jersey Child Support And Child Custody Lawyer

If you have questions about divorcealimonychild custody or any other family law-related issue, contact the New Jersey office to speak to child support and child custody lawyer Frank Tournour today. He will ensure that your children’s needs are properly represented throughout the divorce process.