Decades Of Experience.
Proven Representation.

Marital Torts: Legal Remedies For Abuse

If you are going through a divorce in New Jersey and have been abused or otherwise mistreated by your spouse, you may have powerful legal remedies at your disposal. Under New Jersey martial tort laws, you may seek damages if your spouse has inflicted certain wrongs, or torts, against you.

When such abuse has occurred, victims may sue their spouses in a legal process that runs concurrently with divorce. At Tournour Law in East Brunswick, we are passionate advocates for abused and mistreated spouses. We will do everything in our power to hold accountable the person who has wronged you, while fully protecting your rights in divorce, child custody disputes and other family law matters.

Marital Torts During The Marriage And Divorce

A marital tort is a civil action and must be filed as part of the divorce. If you are a victim of domestic violence, you may have a claim for a marital tort. Examples of marital torts include:

  • Spousal abuse
  • Sexual assault (marital rape)
  • Intentional infliction of emotional distress
  • False imprisonment

While many marital torts occur prior to the divorce, some occur while the divorce is in progress. These may include:

  • Hiding assets
  • Dispensing with marital assets
  • Interfering with custody rights
  • Invasion of privacy

Our team has the experience and investigative resources to uncover these unlawful actions and to pursue fair and just compensation for those who have been wronged. We are skilled trial advocates led by award-winning attorney Frank Tournour, who has a special passion for protecting the rights of the abused and mistreated.

Explore Your Legal Options

You may be entitled to legal remedies that go above and beyond what you receive in your divorce settlement. We are here to listen, help and explore all the options available to you. To arrange a confidential consultation with an experienced divorce lawyer in East Brunswick, contact our law firm online or by telephone at 732-913-3634.